Saturday, May 1, 2010

Prepare for Take-off

As my departure to London quickly approaches (3 days!!), all the last minute details start to fall into place and you've got to make sure you don't leave anything behind. Especially because I'm gone for 6 weeks and it's expensive to ship.

I started creating a checklist using a table in a word Document.

I've got my guidebooks and have made notes and dog-eared galore.



I've got my fabulous little adapter from Target for about $7.



My husband and I figured out the whole Skype-webcam thing to keep in touch for less.

I've got my 100GBP in Cash (which cost $165).




I've made copies of my Driver's license, passport, student ID, and credit cards and given them to someone I trust.

I haven't started packing yet, but I've been grouping things here and there so I can throw it all in.

I'm excited. And scared. I'd say its 50/50 right now. I'm just got a great traveler. Once I get there and I've overcome jet lag, I'm sure I'll love it! Not to say that I won't get homesick every now and then, but thankfully I've got some lovely classmates I know I can lean on from time to time and they can do the like with me as well.

See you across the pond!

Cheerio!
-L

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Thanks for your cute comment on my blog.
    These are some of my top tips for London -

    - use Buses over Tubes when you can, sometimes they take a bit longer but you can get some really good sightseeing in and it helps you learn your way about!
    - Vintage shopping, Bricklane and it's surrounding streets are the best (nearest tube stop is Liverpool street)
    - Amazing vegetarian restaurant - http://www.mildreds.co.uk/
    - Regents Park - My favourite park to wander in, the London Zoo is also in there (which is good) and it's a nice place to feed ducks and wander.

    - Take a day trip to Brighton (about 40 mins from Victoria Station) to the seaside and play games on the pier and it has really good shopping (in the north laines) and very cute people.
    - Camden for market stalls and then walk up to Regents Park road for nice cafes and Primrose Hill for great views of the city.
    - The Tower of London is an awesome tourist spot.
    - Walking/eating along the Southbank, the BFI.
    - The Tate Modern - our amazing modern art gallery. All our Museums are free and worth visiting.
    - The Natural History museum is so good, it's next to the Science Museum which is also amazing, both are in South Kensington which is also near good shopping and Hyde Park another lovely outdoor spot.
    - Oxford street for all the best high street shops. My favourites are Topshop & Miss Selfridge
    - For bars and drinking, the best spots are around East London in the Shoreditch and Old Street area.
    - Walk walk walk walk! the best way to explore London.
    - Buy TIME OUT each week as it is always full of the best things to do and see, you can also look online - http://www.timeout.com/london/

    Enjoy! it's an amazing city, with never ending things to do and see.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s it is COLD for May here right now, it's been warm recently but right now it's horrible, hopefully it will pick up for you, but yeah make sure you bring a coat

    ReplyDelete