Thursday, May 6, 2010

We're Traveling to London to London to London...

While leaving my husband behind was most likely the hardest thing I've done since I met him, as the Beatles say, "I get by with a little help from my friends."

Until I get my financial aid on May 17th, I've got roughly $1275.00 (don't be alarmed, over here that's only 840£. Which is basically 70£ per day, or $100.00 per day. Again, I am not here to spend all the money I ever had, but it's good to know your maximum. And it was nice to walk into a nearby deli and order a sandwich and drink and pay 5.80£ and not worry too much.

Also, I am in complete awe of British Airways! First, I love that instead of "bathroom" they say "washroom" and instead of "double knot" they say "double bow". We were given a huge list of useful terms from our Offices here, and they're hysterical. Apparently, instead of "band-aid" they say "plaster". Someone tell me how that one happened! Secondly, they furnished us with so many useful accessories such as socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, eye mask, blanket, pillow, headphones, etc. etc.



Took off at 7:40 and could see the sunset in the distance.



Had a little white wine with dinner, which was lovely. They gave me 2 in fact. I saved one for later.



Then, I saw the beautiful sunRISE! Which I've never seen from a plane!



And in the next photo I'm telling you how many hours of sleep I actually got!



But once I got on that coach from Gatwick into the city, and saw the English countryside, I knew I was in for a beautiful trip.



And seeing how beautiful the houses are in this city was just amazing. The architecture is fantastic here.

I'd say that my friend, the lovely angelaacts.com (classmate and flatmate) greatly explained how the housing situation went.

But here's the long and short of what I've done (as I started this blog yesterday, and did not finish it until today, May 7th.

THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT

Went to the grocery store: Sainsbury's: they do not have shopping carts and they make you bag your own food.

Found a great burger joint called THE ULTIMATE BURGER. It really was. I paid 10£ for a Eggplant burger and fries. Delicious!

Also, got a coupon on the street for McDonald's. 1.99£ for a Filet o Fish and Fries. I went for it.

Visited the famed Top Shop, H&M, and Miss Selfridge of Oxford Street.

The deli less than a block away has awesome paninis (I went for goat cheese, tomato, carrot and spinach) for 5£ !

Also, tonight Angela, Kim and I are planning on visiting a pub called the Princess Louise! Beer for only 1.66£ !

Also got a phone (to call my classmates in the UK for much cheaper) and an Oyster card (to ride the Tube!). I have never ridden a subway, so I'm most excited!

Plans for tomorrow: Perhaps go on a tour of the history of our district (Which is Bloomsbury) and then go see a show! We're thinking Miss Warren's Profession at the Comedy Theatre!

Cross your fingers that we get cheap tickets.

Cheerio!
-L

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey!

    Glad you all arrived safely! The living arrangement sounds interesting, to say the least! Loved reading about the food! Yum!

    Good Wishes to all!

    Mama Sauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're there safe and thanks for posting the pictures and the video - we will stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete