Thursday, May 20, 2010

2 Weeks. One-Third.

Whoa! So apparently it's been nearly a week since I've updated, but life is fast-moving here! I've now officially been a Londoner for 2 weeks, and this makes for a third of my time here.

As I last mentioned, I was going to see a production called "Psy" which united circus acts with a theme of mental disorders. For example, addition, amnesia, multiple personality, etc. I did enjoy it. Did it blow my mind, nah, but I think there were definitely a few key moments where the performance and the concept united.

http://www.sadlerswells.com/show/The-7-Fingers-Psy

The show has since closed and moved on the Switzerland, but wonderfully I was able to have lunch with a few of the performers and chat them up about what they'd like to learn more of, how long it takes them to warm up and just spend some time with people who love their art.

Then on Sunday I went to the one and only HARROD's!

It is like the crack dealer for the shopaholic. I bought some chocolate from the chocolate bar, but mostly just walked around for the atmosphere!

On Monday I saw one of the best shows I've ever seen. In my life!
Ruined at the Almeida is a gorgeous play written by Lynn Nottage about a ladies house in the Republic of Congo during the war. Brilliantly performed. Delicious! I highly recommend it, if you're in town.


The following evening, I saw a play that didn't so much change my life. It was Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice. Not so great. Could be a great script, but you can't necessarily tell with the performance. I believe the actors were afraid of being sentimental and as a result, they were completely dishonest on stage.

Then! Kim and I set out for the famed "Jack the Ripper" walk with the company, London Walks. It was fun! I'd say I mostly enjoyed the fact that I got to see where everyone was, but unfortunately because most every building was a tenement house or brothel, they've either been destroyed by time or WW2. However, I did get to see the famous "White Chapel" (the white chapel district is where all the murders took place, east of the London Wall). And I got to see the Ten Bells pub, which is apparently the "Jack the Ripper" pub. Very cool.


Today, Thursday, I had some time off classes, so Angela and I went down to Portabello Road. Unfortunately, the market was closed for the day, but there were many stores to fill our appetites. My favorite was Yumi (http://www.uttamdirect.com)!! Some of the cutest things I've ever seen. I bought a sweet little ring with a cockatiel, since it's my favorite bird.

I realized lately I've seen so many shows that I decided to cool it a bit and see more of the sites. I need to go to some museums! Especially the British Museum which is a mere block from where I live. I also need to go to the Tate and the Victoria and Albert. And this weekend I may see Iron Man 2! We'll see :-)

Until next time,

Cheerio!
-L

3 comments:

  1. I'd say give Eurydice a second chance if you can see another production of it. For me, it was one of the greatest scripts I'd ever read. It (and Ruhl in general) can definitely lend itself to some... interesting stagings and interpretations, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linz! It's Mom. I got your phone message.
    You sound good! And it looks/sounds like you're having a great time!!! Is Nick
    doing okay? I need to e-mail him to see.
    We are good here. Dad is daily looking for
    work, but will do an early retirement from
    UCSD so we have some money to live on for
    awhile. Erin's good, too. Love & miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal- I did enjoy the play! It was definitely just the production. I would totally see it again. Anything would be better, I imagine.

    Hey Mom!! I am having a good time. Nick's doing alright. We get to talk just about every day, which has been nice. Glad to hear you guys are doing well. Miss and love you all!

    ReplyDelete