Friday, May 14, 2010

The English Countryside

Since last we spoke I saw Peter Pan, 39 Steps, and visited Avebury Stones (a mysterious ancient stone circle), LaCock Abbey (the home of Hogwarts), and Salisbury Cathedral (which houses one of the four remaining copies of the Magna Carta).

Firstly, I must tell you about a lovely little place recommended by a previous MFA student. It's called Maison Bertaux and its on Greek Street down off of Coventry and Charing Cross. It's a lovely little French pastry shop with adjoining tea room. I had a great little quiche, salad, and tea. It was perfectly charming!







Peter Pan at the Barbican left some to be desired. It was presented by the National Theatre of Scotland. We came on the preview night, so I'd be interested to go and see it at the end of the run. Students under age 26 through "a night less ordinary" are able to receive free theatre tickets for many shows in London. So, if I could visit again for a free time, why not?

Now, 39 Steps at the Criterion was absolutely joyous! Such a fantastic show. Hilarious, high skills, entertaining, and charming. Highly recommend it.

The Daytrip today was amazing! I have never seen such wonders.

Firstly, we went to Avebury which is one of the many mystic locations of England.




Beautiful, majestic, rural, and amazing!

Then we were on to LaCock Abbey which was the home of Hogwarts!! Very exciting. So beautiful, and I think my favorite place of the day. I took so many photos, I will not bore you with them all. But there were so many paintings, rooms, and architecture that took my breath away.






Finally we made our way to the sweet and historic town of Salisbury which houses the beautiful Medieval Cathedral. The tallest spire in Britain. 404 feet!





Such a wonderful trip! I look forward to more daytrips possibly to Brighton, Bath, and Stonehenge.

The next couple of days we've got some time off classes, so tomorrow I'm going to see Psy. A show at the Peacock that all my classmates have been raving about and fortunately even though the show closes tomorrow night, I've got myself some 10 pound tickets for the matinee! Lovely!

Hope this finds you well and that I've been entertaining you.

Cheerio!
-L

3 comments:

  1. wow, those pictures are awesome. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Avebury - reading about it now in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

    Any ash from the volcano in Iceland yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any ash here. I've heard it's mostly up high in the atmosphere. My friend's mom was visiting london as recent as a few days ago and had to stay an extra day or two cause of the cloud. So it's still swooping around up there. Good thing my trip to Paris is by the chunnel.

    ReplyDelete